April
problems with perfect tense and perfect continuous tense There are three questions in a workbook and I didn't answer correctly in all three. 1. I______ a good book recently. correct answer: have been reading my answer: have read 2. She______for a long time when she arrives. correct answer: will not have slept my answer: will not have been sleeping 3. Soon, she______here for 20 years. correct answer: will have worked my answer: will have been working Is the "correct answer" the only answer? or is my answer also acceptable? Thank you very much!
11
0
Well, that scares me because I would have got 2 out of 3 wrong. I can say that in informal everyday conversations, where people's English is not perfect, everything you said was acceptable, meaning no one would correct you. If there are exact rules and you didn't follow them, I don't know how, because to me what you said made sense. I do see some small subtle differences in the meanings, but this is when English annoys me, there are so many ways to say essentially the same thing. 1. I______ a good book recently. correct answer: have been reading my answer: have read I have been reading a good book recently - means "In the days or weeks which have recently passed I have been reading a book, and in my opinion, it was a good book. I have read a good book recently - means, one of the things which I've done in the recent weeks which have passed, is read a good book. SO I suppose one means you have been doing and the other means you have done???????? It makes sense I suppose, but to me it's just irritating - from both sentences I understand that you recently read a book and you liked it. I really commend anyone who is clever enough to learn English - or any foreign language.
Your answers for 1. and 3. are acceptable for conversation. But obviously the workbook asked for a specific tense and that's why you got them wrong. Your answer is not in the tense that the exercise required. If it didn't ask for a specific tense, I would get a different book.
Without context these exercises are impossible to do. 1. The word "recently" goes with the perfect continuous. 2. Context required. 3. Context required.
@harry: o(∩_∩)o...
I want to say: this is a good question.
April
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese
Japanese