jofurn
French: Help with "Either" please Hello, I'm having a little difficulty with the use of the word either. Would anyone be willing to shed some light on this awkward little word please? Here are some cases I'm pondering over: 1. As a result of his action, he garnered no favour with either side. 2. Either he will come tomorrow or he won't. 3. I don't believe in that either. Thanks, Josephine
The word "Either" in French have many synonyms but many inconstant meanings. It depends of the sense of the sentence. Just like in English. In French -l'un ou l'autre. -chaque. It have also a conditional meaning : "Soit" 1 - As a result of his action, he garnered no favour with either side. ---> En raison de son action, il n'a obtenu aucune faveur de "chaque" coté. 2. Either he will come tomorrow or he won't. ---> "Soit" il vient demain ou il ne viendra pas. 3. I don't believe in that either. ---> Je ne crois pas a ça "non plus"./ here the meaning of either change in French hope you get it .
salut! genéralement il se traduit par "soit" et par "ou(ou bien)!
You have to use the third sentence. That's a situation where you'll put the word either in ;-) Have luck with it.
jofurn
English, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Russian, Spanish
French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Russian, Spanish