Matthew
Relative clause Thanks =) What is relative clause? Please give some examples ! Thank you very much !!
5 lut 2012 23:49
3
0
A relative clause is a subordinate clause that modifies a noun. A clause differs from a phrase in that a clause contains a subject and a verb. For example, "I love the present that you bought for me". In this example, "you bought for me" is a relative clause, introduced by a relative pronoun (in this case, that). The relative pronoun here is optional.
5 lutego 2012
I fully agree with the above answers, but I'll try to explain it without the grammar terminology. :) Basically, a relative clause gives extra information about a thing. You'll see it clearly in the above examples. To introduce this information, you normally use that/which/where/who/when/whose/why - it'll be pretty obvious which one you need. ;) Between "which" and "that"... if the extra information is vital to the sentence, that is, the meaning is lost or it changes without this information, then you use "that" (=defining relative clause). If you can cut out the information without affecting the sense or meaning of the sentence, ie. the extra information is optional, use "which" (=non-defining relative clause). Use commas here. If the sentence can flow smoothly without the introductory word (that, which, etc), then you can cut it out as well. To use Randy's example: "I love the present you bought for me." Have a play with the relative clauses here: http://www.ego4u.com/en/cram-up/tests/relative-clauses-1
6 lutego 2012
Defining subject relative clause: He is the person WHO LIVES NEXT DOOR. She has a car THAT USES ELECTRICITY. Non-defining subject relative clause: My neighbor, WHO IS A DOCTOR, has three children. Hawaii, WHICH HAS MANY BEAUTIFUL BEACHES, is popular with tourists. Defining object relative clause: Tina is the person (WHO / THAT) I LOVE. A hamburger is something (WHICH / THAT) YOU EAT. Non-defining object relative clause: His boss is Angela Yang, WHO YOU'LL MEET LATER TODAY. Coca-Cola, WHICH PEOPLE DRINK ALL OVER THE WORLD, is a kind of soda.
6 lutego 2012
Matthew
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), English