Andrea
Is it true that Italian is the second-most used language in Australia? I read it from Wikipedia(Chinese version) and was surprised cause I had never heard that before. Is that true? If that's true, then what's the idea of "second-most"?(30%, about 100 thousand people, etc..) Thanks!
3
0
Hi, from 2006 statistics, the most commonly spoken languages in Australia apart from English are Italian, Greek, Cantonese, Arabic, Mandarin and Vietnamese. This is because many Italian and Greek migrants came to settle in Australia.
Second most = second most. NO idea how many that would be. It is more than third most, but less than first most. In 1996 the second most spoken language at home was Italian. In the 2001 census it was shown that over 350,000 spoke a Chinese dialect at home. But only 220,000 spoke Mandarin. So yeah, Italian is still #2 in Oz. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Australia
Statistically, I think it's Arabic now (as a home language). Can't remember where I read that. Yes, Australia has had many Italian migrants, and Italian communities exist in the larger cities. Still, the linguistic standard in Australia is still only English, so second-most could mean anything, even something as low as 2% (for example). It just means the next-most used language in Australia; it doesn't mean it is widely used.
Andrea
Arabic (Modern Standard), Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Shanghainese), English, French, Japanese, Portuguese
English, French, Japanese