Marsokot
made of or made from Hi, this question was asked before, but I still doubt how to use it correctly in some cases. http://www.italki.com/answers/question/89741.htm I understand the main rule of using made of or made from. If something keeps its form, we use "made of'', but if the form is changed during the process of making, then we use 'made from'. What should I use asking " What is your T-shirt is made from or of?" and WHY? I saw in my textbook such sentence " My coat is made from wool." Why from??? I would say OF. Thank you for your help!
I find something in a forum maybe it could interest you a chair made of wood because you can still see the wood. wine made from grapes because you cannot see the grapes anymore.
Nade from wool... Has the material changed enough to say from? That is on the line- it can got either way. If I had made the jacket myself, and I brought it from the sheering stage, then putt in dying stages and flees stages, I would want to let you know that, and stress it in every prideful way. I would use the word from. If I bought the material, or just bought the jacket finished, I would not have that same desire. "Of" would be fine. So take note of the story, what was being stressed.
I'm sure it is perfectly ok to say that it is made OF wool.
To answer your other question, "What is your T-shirt made of/from?" Similar to the coat and wool scenario, I believe either can also be correct. "My T-shirt is made from polyester, rayon, and cotton," and "My T-shirt is made of polyester, rayon, and cotton," are both correct. At least in America, some prepositions are often interchanged in conversation. I don't think anyone is certain of what is grammatically correct as multiple prepositions sound good. At least with "made of/made from", you can get away with changing these and not sound strange. The only place you'd have problems is if you get an idiomatic phrase wrong. For instance, you must say, "Let's see what you're made of," instead of "Let's see what you're made with." If you say the latter, people won't understand you. Idioms are important to memorize and say correctly or you'll be laughed at.
April 14, 2012
This is a very interesting grammatical nuance. From Michael Swan's Practical English Usage (and you said you already knew this): ----------------------------- We usually say "made of" when we are identifying the material used to make something. Most things seem to be made of plastic these days. What are your loudspeakers made of? When we are thinking about the process of manufacture, "out of" is more often used. They made all the furniture out of oak. (More natural than "of oak".) When a material is changed into a completely different form to make something, we often use "make from". Paper is made from wood. (NOT: "Paper is made of wood.") My mother makes wine from blackberries. To mention just one of the materials that something is made of we use "make with". 'The soup is good.' 'Yes, I make it with lots of garlic' ---------------------------------------------------------- So, to answer your question, both "my coat is made from wool," and "my coat is made of wool," is correct. The reason why the first one is correct is because, like "paper is made from wood," that coat was once wool that was converted in the process of manufacture. The reason why the second one is correct is because the coat is made of various or one material. We want to state what material, and that is, "my coat is made of wool." Both have slightly different meanings: what is the coat composed of (made of) and what was converted to make the coat (made from). I hope that makes some sense. Thank you for the question.
April 14, 2012