Felix
how should I understand the WHEN in such situation. there are times when we would willingly give everything we possess to save out lives. I began to walk away when,a moment later, he ran after me and thrust the pen into my hands. it's totally different from the sentence below: I saw you eating hot pot by the street when you come off working.(in this situation,it's easy to understand for me) what's difference between them. help me ~ native speaker,I call you~~!
2
0
In the first example, "when" means "this happens." In the second example, it means "and the next thing that happens is... ." In the last example, "when" means "at this particular moment." Other examples: There are times when I get frustrated with my job. I was reading a book when I heard a loud noise outside. I heard you when you were talking to your brother on the phone.
When would you willingly give everything you possess to save your life? I would willingly give everything I possess to save my life when the time to do so, came. It's the same sentence but given back to the person asking it. "at which time or moment would you do it? Or DID you do it? (past)" = when. When would you kill someone? I would kill someone WHEN they try to hurt my baby, "At which moment?" The man eating his hot pot's moment was after he came from his work - that was "when" he ate.
Felix
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Other), English, Russian