nozturk
Are these sentences OK? Or how would you say? If there was something to say about it, I would tell you. If there was something to say about it, I would say something.
2
0
In an informal conversation, those sentences are fine. But the second sentence is one where the speaker is probably angry because he or she is repeating the word "something" for emphasis: If there was SOMETHING to say about it, I would say SOMETHING. On a grammar test, "was" would be wrong in "If there was." For a situation where there is absolutely nothing more to say, you want to use the past subjunctive of "to be," which is "were" for all subjects: I were, you were, he were, she were, etc. The subjunctive mood is used more in writing than in conversation. If I said "If there were something to say about it (but there isn't), I would tell you" to my friends, it would make me sound, well, like a stuffy English teacher.
If there was something to say about it, I would tell you. Correct If there was anything to say about it, I would say something like this.........
nozturk
English, Turkish