3820
you billed sixty-one hours per week& 1.in John Grisham's 'Firm', chapter 13, when describing a lawyer who works very hard and overtime, one guy says: "For the month of October you billed an average of sixty-one hours per week", I don't understand why "bill" is used here instead of "work", does it mean "charge" ? for lawyers usually charge as per hours they work? 2. same novel, chapter18, refer to the lawyers return to work after Chrismas , it reads "after three days of unbillable, of no production, of exile from their sanctuaries, of turkey and ham and cranberry sauce and new toys that came unassembled, the rested and rejuvenated lawyeres returned to the fortress on Front Street with a vengeance" , do "toys" mean toys here, do adults in the States play toys on Chrismas days? thanks a lot
6
0
your English is good, it will be better if you pay more attention to the grammer.
yes, I do, I watch movies too, but I read more,
"Exiled from their sanctuaries' means they were at home with their families away from their offices(the office is where they feel most comfortable, not at home). 'of turkey and ham and cranberry sauce and new toys that came unassembled' means they spent time with their families eating and possible assembling the childrens toys( metaphor for doing Christmas activities with family) and obviously enjoying it even though 'out of their comfort zone' which is shown by the fact that 'rested and rejuvenated lawyeres returned to the fortress on Front Street with a vengeance'
do you love to read English novels?I used to reading English novels,but I pefer to watching English moives now.
1. if the lawyer is working for you, he/she will send you a bill (bill you) for the hours worked. so yes, "bill" is like "charge", but you use charge when talking about how much a lawyer charges per hour. in other words, bill = total charged. 2. it depends what you mean by toys (model train or sound system?), and for who they are (lawyers or their kids). i think they key words here are "that came unassembled" - why would the author write that?
3820