3820
there be to "This woman knew all there was to know about the wayward employee", "there was to " is used so suitable and good here, I hope to have more example sentences with the same use of "there be to", and explanation of the phrase here, for I can not find them in my dictionnary. thanks.
Adding to what the others have said, I would ask that you not split 'to' from 'know' while thinking about these words. do not connect in your mind "was' and ' to." After doing this, I ask you, what did the woman know? The answer... All there was (+ modifying fragment about the employee). Another correct answer... All there was to know (+ modifying fragment about the employee). But this is not a good choice... All there was to (+ modifying fragment). Because the to is connected with know. They go together as a "verb phrase."
The phrase is: There isn't much to know... There's a lot to know... There's very little to know about... Because of the position of the qualifying clause you get: He knew all there was to know about her. This is not a "there is to" structure!
Dude. the "to" is not with the "there be". You're asking people to give you "there be 100" examples resembling "there are 100 cats in the cage". So "there was" is with "all" here. Put in actual order: "There was all..."
He knew all there was to know about the history of the Romans. He had been interested in Roman history for many years, read many books and had become a specialist, knowing just about everything there was to know about them. If you asked him a question about the Romans he would always know the answer. They knew all there was to know about each other. They had lived together for twenty years and there wasn't anything they didn't know about each other. They knew each other so well after all this time. He had done all there was to do and was now sitting twiddling his thumbs and feeling very bored. He didn't like to be idle. He wished his boss would give him something else to do, but right now he had absolutely no work to do at all.