smile
Please tell me what's the roll of "to it" I found the following sentence "The crab soup has sweet and sour flavors to it." What's the role of the last 'to it' ? Can I say just "The crab soup has sweet and sour flavors." ?
6
0
Here is the purpose; "The crab soup has sweat and sour flavor" can suggest that these are the two main flavors. "to it" lets the listener know that these are secondary tones to the taste. It makes the whole sentence possibly be information that this soup is not just the soup you expect, but the soup you expect plus these two additional tastes; "tastes which are ADDED to it"
"The crab soup has sweet and sour flavours" states a basic fact. This is fine grammar-wise, but it means there is no argument or possibility of opinion. "The crab soup has sweet and sour flavours to it" implies more of a perception or opinion. Perhaps someone else might think differently, but this is the speaker's own conclusion. To me, this makes more sense.
yeah i think you could cut off the "to it" its just like: to the sweet flavours are sour flavours too. both of them are flavours. so you may say" The crab soup has sweet and sour flavors."
smile
English, German, Japanese
English, German