TheMoses
”約束は守らないとね” ”約束は守らないとね” I'm pretty sure it means you MUST keep your promise but why is it in negative form? or is it just short for: "約束は守らないといけない" I'm quite confused , so if it means 'you must keep your promise', does it mean that the particle "to" in the end means "opposite of"? Thank you very much :)
12 فبراير 2012 07:16
4
1
Yes, you're right, is it just short for: 約束は守らないといけない and the meaning is still: you have to keep your promise. Your question why the expression is using negative form, I think this is Japanese style. You'll find many many words using negative form, for instance: 申し訳ありません、そうかもしれない、~わけない. hope this helps
12 فبراير 2012
ないとね in ”約束は守らないとね” urge the receiver to agree to the idea he must keep his promise. I think we Japanese use this kind of negative form by putting ourselves his position. Like "what will happen if i break a promise?" So, ”約束は守らないとね” is like "you must keep your promise, mustn't you?" Japanese people don't prefer to use clear expressions. Because using ambiguous words or expressions is virtue. It's thought to be important to maintain harmony between people. The receivers guess the meaning of words from the context. Japanese people are used to that ambiguity. i'm sorry. i mistakenly put the same answer as a comment (^_^; )
12 فبراير 2012
ないとね in ”約束は守らないとね” urge the receiver to agree to the idea he must keep his promise. I think we Japanese use this kind of negative form by putting ourselves his position. Like "what will happen if i break a promise?" So, ”約束は守らないとね” is like "you must keep your promise, mustn't you?" Japanese people don't prefer to use clear expressions. Because using ambiguous words or expressions is virtue. It's thought to be important to maintain harmony between people. The receivers guess the meaning of words from the context. Japanese people are used to that ambiguity.
12 فبراير 2012
TheMoses
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese
Japanese