Muh
What has helped you in learning a new language?
Well, in my personal case (in learning English), I read storybooks and novels in English, read news reports in English, watch English-language movies, and make friends with native speakers to chat with them. In short, the best way of learning a new language is to expose yourself, as much as you can, to the environment of that target language. I see that you're learning Mandarin Chinese, so you can make friends with native Chinese (like me! :)) and read Chinese-language materials, and so on.
I think like the saying goes,interest is the best teacher. My interest in western cultures helps me greatly in learning English and French. Hehe,jia you!
I may just have to start slow with learning a couple of words a day. Then move up to sentences and reading as you say. Making friends is always welcome, just don't laugh at my bad accent. :)