juwita
The Gift of The Magi My teacher gave me part of story and the title is The Gift of The Magi. Actually What is the meaning of The Magi? I also know one of painting named Adoration of The Magi. Would you like to tell me the meaning of "The Magi"??
4
0
We use Magi for the word wise one or king in this story. We do not use this word outside of this story. In actuality, it is a Greek word that is plural for king or wise men. The word is different when there is only one. Magian. This term is used buy Greeks to describe a Persian (not just any king, A Persian one.)
In the religious beliefs of Christians, the Magi were wise men who gave gifts to the infant Jesus, so the author of the story uses that reference to illustrate the wisdom of the couple in the story when they chose their gifts.
plural noun, singular -gus  [-guhs] Show IPA 1. ( sometimes lowercase ) the wise men, generally assumed to be three in number, who paid homage to the infant Jesus. Matt. 2:1–12. Compare Balthazar ( def. 1 ) , Caspar ( def. 1 ) , Melchior ( def. 1 ) . 2. ( sometimes lowercase ) the class of Zoroastrian priests in ancient Media and Persia, reputed to possess supernatural powers. 3. ( lowercase ) astrologers. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/magi
In very ancient times, 'magi' meant men who read meanings from the stars and practiced magic. For the last five hundred or a thousand years, 'magi' usually refers to the three wise men who came to bring gifts to Jesus at his birth.
juwita
English, German, Indonesian, Javanese
English, German