osvaldo
I want to know how can i use "the" before comparatives adjectives for example :the greater you become, the more humble you should be . somebody can explain me when can i use "the" with adjectives (i am not sure what they are). i can use "the" with superlative e.g. the most, but if i say the more please help me to build a sentence with the greater..............the faster
I want to eat the green bananas. The greater amount you have, the more you shall pay. The faster you drive, the worse your gas milage, and the more tickets you will receive. In all the situations "the" is pointing out a specific type of noun. Let me show you... The green bananas. Which ones? any ones? No. Only the green ones. The greater amount you have, the more you shall pay. What amount? Any amount? No. The greater amount. The faster you drive, the worse your gas milage What type of drive? The faster drive. The is used to point out specific things or a specific thing. Actions like (the greater you BECOME) are specific actions just like 'the green bananas' are specific. You can re order your words to delete the 'the' with a noun as well as you could with the verb... I want to eat the green bananas. Bananas that are green would be what I want to eat. The more you have, the more you shall pay. If you have more, you will pay more. The faster you drive, the worse your gas milage, and the more tickets you will receive. Driving faster will cause worse gas milage and more tickets. Have a great day.