中国儿歌: is it right to translate it this way? I was looking at some Chinese 儿歌 - I found one that says: 泥娃娃 泥娃娃 一个泥娃娃 也有那眉毛也有那眼睛 眼睛不会眨 the translation says: "mud doll, mud doll, a mud doll she also has eyebrows, she also has eyes, but she can't wink" but shouldn't it be better to translate it like this: "although she has eyebrows, although she has eyes, she can't wink" that's because our teacher told us that in sentences like these it is better to translate "也" as "although", and not as "also"... what do you think about it? ^^
I remember this song well. I would translate it as, 泥娃娃 泥娃娃 一个泥娃娃 Oh, mud doll, my mud doll, my one mud doll. 也有那眉毛也有那眼睛 眼睛不会眨 You have brows and eyes but they don't wink. I did not translate the word mud into clay because it was an old pasttime in the simple lives of rural children to be with their parents working in the padi fields. There the children would make figures out of the mud and sing this song at the same time. There are some old black and white Chinese movies I had seen as a kid. Not sure if these movies have survived to this day and age.
I would translate as ' also' with the 'but' behind. I think the lyrics "也有那眉毛也有那眼睛 眼睛不会眨" is comparing the doll to humans. It's saying the doll also has eyebrows and eyes like us but she can't wink (like us). That's why I think it's better to translate as ' also' to show the comparison. If you translate as ' although' instead, the comparison there is gone.
i never heard this before.
my version: mud doll, mud doll, there's a mud doll. she has eyebrows and eyes although, but she can not wink.