can
right off the line "He was driving a Ford Galaxie. Right off the line this thing had more power than made any kind of sense, and he'd been seriously under the hood." In the sentence above, I cannot be sure the meaning of the phrase "right off the line". Can someone help, please. Thanks in advance.This is a getaway car. So, from your comments, now I take it as waiting for the start.
3
0
It's possible this could be used at the start of a race...right off the line meaning when you cross the start line, this would also make sense and it says about going under the hood which would mean to improve the engine.
Immediately off the starting line. The image is one of being in a race. It could be said "Right from the start." or "From the very first moment I drove it." I thought it was production line, but the context doesn't support it.
The line here is the production line. It means the car has just come off the production line. It's another way of saying that it is spanking new.
can
English, Turkish