nozturk
"I'd remember if I met her." and "I'd remember if I'd met her." They're OK?
4
0
I was thinking about what Ian had written (see "Answers" below) and how you could use "I'd remember if I'd met her" in casual English. An incredibly beautiful woman walks away from Scott and David. Scott: (pouting) I would've remembered her if I had met her before. David: (suddenly in love with the woman) I'd remember if I'd met her! (With spoken emphasis on "I"; meaning: David can't understand how Scott could have forgotten such a beautiful woman!)
It's my understanding that "I'd remember if I met her" is a sentence in conversational and informal English, where the word "had" is dropped, since it is implied. The full sentence is "I'd remember her if I['d] met her", but we drop the second " 'd " (which is already a contracted form of "had") - just to make it easier to say. When we say "I'd" versus "I" you can hardly hear the difference, so we develop a habit of not saying " 'd " when speaking very quickly and efficiently. So, don't think of this as a grammatical problem - it's simply a nuance of spoken, informal English.
If I had met her (but I never have), I would have remembered her. (contrary-to-fact past perfect subjunctive clause + result clause) I would've remembered her if I had met her. (Same as above, but result clause is in initial position.)
The second one is OK.
nozturk
English, Turkish