Nahdiah
swell meaning? I found a dialog from a chapter in my textbook. This dialog is showing a switch between Spanish and English, occured between two Mexican Americans in the US. A: Well I'm glad I met you, OK? M: andale pues (OK SWELL), and do come again. Mm? (Switch between Spanish and English) *The English translation is in the capitals Actually, the meaning of swell here is not really important to what I am learning, but I just want to know what does "swell" mean here? Thank you in advance
2
0
It's almost obsolete in that context, but it means something like "cool" (which, give it 20 or so years, will also go the way of words like swell and groovy). The usual meaning of "swell" is for something to grow bigger, like a bruise or bump on the face.
"Swell" can be used to express enthusiasm about something. It's like saying "that's great." It's old-fashioned though. It was more popular up through the 1950's (I wasn't born back then, but I heard it a lot in movies from that time period). You won't hear it nowadays.
Nahdiah
English, French, Indonesian, Japanese
English, French, Japanese