soporose
What do these sentences mean? HELP! 1. I'm in for a dime. 2. This is a volume business. 3. He’d collect $500 from the underdog betters and pay out $500 to the favorite betters. 4. I've been getting so much action on the Yankees. I know the above sentences have something to do with gambling, but I can't grasp the meanings of those at all. I beg you answers!
6
1
"1. I'm in for a dime." "In for a dime, in for a dollar" is the American English version of the British idiom "in for a penny, in for a pound." These idioms mean that if you're going to do something, you should do it all the way. Or, if you're going to lose $0.10 on a gamble, you may as well lose $1. "2. This is a volume business." This sentence is not directly related to gambling. Volume businesses only deal in bulk. For example, your local grocery store buys its merchandise from a supply or distribution company. Supply/distribution companies are volume businesses. "3. He’d collect $500 from the underdog betters and pay out $500 to the favorite betters." The subject of the sentence will collect $500 in profits from the losers (underdogs in this context) and use the money to pay the winners (favorite betters). "4. I've been getting so much action on the Yankees." The Yankees are a baseball team in New York state. Getting action means a lot of people place bets on this team.
1. In a betting pool (such as poker) "I'm in for a dime" means that "I'm betting a dime." Note that a dime can also be slang for ten dollars. It can also mean an investment. "When Steve started his bakery, I was in for $1000." 2. "This is a volume business." = "We are successful if we sell a lot of things - the quality is not as important as the quantity." 3. Underdog better - someone how bet on the horse or team not favored to win before the contest. Favorite better - someone who bet on the contestant most expected to win - the favorite. 4. I'm getting a lot of bets on the Yankees. (bets = action)
soporose
English, Korean, Urdu
English, Urdu