Sherry
How to avoid making simple mistakes in English? When chatting with native English speakers, I think my English is quite understandable. However, I can't stop making simple mistakes, such as tense, plural, and so on. So, do I need to focus on grammar?
7
1
One useful tip is that when we ask general questions we don't say "How to...?" We say "How do you...?" So for example, we'd say "How do you say 'hello?'" and not "How to say 'hello?'" Something that's really important in avoiding small mistakes is to ask the people you talk with to point them out to you. A lot of the time native speakers will shy away from making little corrections to you when speaking, but that's what you need the most. So just ask your friends to correct you when you make small mistakes.
Absolutely not. You need to focus on speaking more and learning the common phrases without mixing up the word order. If you are having problems with tenses then write down sentences in all tenses using the same situations and practice them. Tomorrow I will go shopping with my sister. I'm shopping with my sister. Yesterday I went shopping with my sister. If I had gone shopping with my sister yesterday, I wouldn't have to go tomorrow.
Everyone makes mistakes. As long as you can be understood, your spoken English will be fine. A lot of native English speakers don't pay much attention to tenses when they talk to each other either:))
I think it's just practice. You are aware that you are making these mistakes. Sometimes you might realize it after the sentence leaves your mouth. It's okay. Be patient with yourself.
You don't. You don't avoid. You forget. ps Actually I do that too and even deliberately sometimes, to make myself sound cool. ;/
Sherry
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), English, Italian, Thai
Chinese (Cantonese), English, Italian, Thai