Rocky
What article is to be used? Your time and consideration [ is / are ] most appreciated. Which one shall I use, is or are? ThanksssI understand that two things usually come with "are". Yet I just read through a few sample letters with "your time and effort is most appreciated'. So I wonder if there are any exceptions or reasons behind. Would it be due to the uncountable nature of effort and time?
8
0
The plural verb is needed to agree with the subject. Use "are".
Bad as a native speaker I mean*; if you're a second-language speaker, generally no one is bothered by that kind of thing or thinks anything bad of it at all.
Yeah people would use "is" instead of "are" in that case because they're typing or speaking fast and don't notice it. Or maybe they just didn't pay attention in elementary school; that's the kind of mistake even native speakers make if they're not paying attention or just don't care, but it's pretty embarassing and bad to do that in a professional context (which that sentence sounds like it did come from a professional exchange/interaction/whatever).
Here you can use either "is" or "are". It depends on your interpretation of "time and effort". You could interpret IT as a singular quality. Or you could interpret THEM as two qualities. **Notice how I use both "it" and "them" in my explanations.**
Always use "are" when you have the conjunction "and" and singular, "is" when used with "or". "And" is used to connect two things together while "or" is used for either one. Other "singular", conjuctions, NEITHER.... NOR....." EITHER..... OR
Rocky
Chinese (Cantonese), English, Spanish
Spanish