osvaldo
What does out mean and how can I use it in context? out of it. 7 out of 12. out my mind. I want to the know meaning as a preposition and adverb
4
0
7 out of 12. There are 12 items. 7 of them have something in common. = 7 out of 12. On a quiz for instance, this would be over half correct. "Out of" can also mean you have no more of an item or material. "We are out of it." "Out of it" can mean unconscious or in a daze.
Out of it. = "Sorry, I'm out of it today." For me, that's any time before the caffeine in my coffee kicks in. 7 out of 12. = 7 from a group of 12 objects or people Out of my mind. = "I must be out of my mind to help you." The speaker is complaining about helping someone and is basically saying she MUST BE CRAZY to bail out a friend who is always getting into trouble.
Verb (used without object) 63. to go or come out. 64. to become public, evident, known, etc.: The truth will out. 65. to make known; tell; utter (followed by with ): Out with the truth! verb (used with object) 66. to eject or expel; discharge; oust. 67. to intentionally expose (a secret homosexual, a spy, etc.). Idioms 68. all out, with maximum effort; thoroughly or wholeheartedly: They went all out to finish by Friday. 69. be on the / at outs with, Informal . to be estranged from (another person); be unfriendly or on bad terms with: He is on the outs with his brother. 70. out and away, to a surpassing extent; far and away; by far: It was out and away the best apple pie she had ever eaten. 71. out for, aggressively determined to acquire, achieve, etc.: He's out for all the money he can get. 72. out from under, out of a difficult situation, especially of debts or other obligations: The work piled up while I was away and I don't know how I'll ever get out from under.
adverb 1. away from, or not in, the normal or usual place, position, state, etc.: out of alphabetical order; to go out to dinner. 2. away from one's home, country, work, etc., as specified: to go out of town. 3. in or into the outdoors: to go out for a walk. 4. to a state of exhaustion, extinction, or depletion: to pump a well out. 5. to the end or conclusion; to a final decision or resolution: to say it all out. adjective 25. not at one's home or place of employment; absent: I stopped by to visit you last night, but you were out. 26. not open to consideration; out of the question: I wanted to go by plane, but all the flights are booked, so that's out. 27. wanting; lacking; without: We had some but now we're out. 28. removed from or not in effective operation, play, a turn at bat, or the like, as in a game: He's out for the season because of an injury. 29. no longer having or holding a job, public office, etc.; unemployed; disengaged (usually followed by of ): to be out of work. preposition 49. (used to indicate movement or direction from the inside to the outside of something): He looked out the window. She ran out the door. 50. (used to indicate location): The car is parked out back. 51. (used to indicate movement away from a central point): Let's drive out the old parkway. interjection 52. begone! away! 53. (used in radio communications to signify that the sender has finished the message and is not expecting or prepared to receive a reply.) Compare over ( def. 52 ) . 54. Archaic . (an exclamation of abhorrence, indignation, reproach, or grief (usually followed by upon ): Out upon you! noun 55. a means of escape or excuse, as from a place, punishment, retribution, responsibility, etc.: He always left himself an out. 56. a person who lacks status, power, or authority, especially in relation to a particular group or situation. 57. Usually, outs. persons not in office or political power ( distinguished from ins). 58. Baseball . a put-out. 59. (in tennis, squash,
osvaldo
English, French, Korean, Spanish
French