Fabien
What's the difference btn 'If I were right, she must have cheated on me.''& ''If I am right...''? If S Ved O vs. If S V O?
17
1
If I were right states an even that happened in the past and if I am right states something in the future that hasn't been discovered as truth yet.
If I were right also means, something you wish for and also know it is improbable to happen. Like, ohh, only if I were the king of England,........
I asked my husband about this today he said my answer is indeed correct. There are words in English that are past tense, future tense, and present tense. "If I were" is indeed past tense and "if I am" is future tense. Hope this helps to clarify!!
:3 off to bed...3 am here and I have to get up at 6 am. Take care!!
I don't know dude. All I know about 'if I were...' is kind of more like suggesting in which case one is not sure if that's right or not. Accoridng to our Scientologist's answer about tenses plus common sense, yeah indeed we should have used 'was' instead of 'were.'
Fabien
French