3820
"minus air" and "I'm game" etc. again, questions from "Firm" by John Grisham, 1. The car was minus air, power anything and signal lights. It was a 1974 LTD. 2. You got real winner yourself. 3. Nice tan too. 4. Gotta look the par 5. Show him some skin, snort some candy, he’ll talk. 6.They shook hands politely, while Tubertini scornfully surveyed the tiny silver of a restaurant.(silver? and why say "a restaurant" instead of "the restaurant") 7. --- what’re you drinking? ----gin and tonic, twist of lime (what is "twist of lime") 8. ----There's this great cookout there at the Palms beginning at six.The best seafood on the island. Good music. Rum punch. The works. No dress code. ------ I’m game. (?) 9. She carefully pulled the bags, just so.("just so" means what here,) thanks in advance
4
0
Minus air power anything.. The car was basic and had no luxury add-ons Nice tan too... You have nice things including a nice skin color Gotta look the part... You must look good to have people believe you are successful Show skin sniff candy he will talk... seduce him with sexuality and drugs. He will then tell you the information you want to know. what are you drinking... What style of liquor is that twist of lime. a lime, (a green lemon) was squeezed in his drink for tanginess I'm game... I would like to go if you will come Just so... In a way that is comfortable, or a way that is easy to get into it if needed These next ones are not as easy,,, You have a real winner yourself... Probably saying a mate or a car is worthy of having - as is the same for the speaker. About the silver... Tubertini may have never been to an rester aunt because he is accustom to fancy places only. He is out of his element and does not like the simple place with ordinary silverware. This would explain the "a" for me. It is not "the" restaurant he hates. It is "a" (or any) normal restaurant he hates. What do you think?
Your questions are mind-boggling. It's attracted me to chime in and add some explanations to others'. >> 6.They shook hands politely, while Tubertini scornfully surveyed the tiny silver of a restaurant.(silver? and why say "a restaurant" instead of "the restaurant") It seems that you mistakenly read the original text. Let me recite the passage again below: "Lazarov arrived first and did not wait for a table. He knew from experience the crowd thinned around 4 P.M., especially on Thursdays. He ordered a glass of red wine. The waitress tipped the hourglass above his head, and the race was on. He sat at a front table, facing the street, his back to the other tables. He was a heavy man of fifty-eight, with a thick chest and ponderous belly. He leaned hard on the red-checkered tablecloth and watched the traffic on Forty-sixth. Thankfully, Tubertini was prompt. Less than a fourth of the white sand was wasted on him. They shook hands politely, while Tubertini scornfully surveyed the tiny sliver of a restaurant. He flashed a plastic smile at Lazarov and glared at his seat in the window. His back would face the street, and this was extremely irritating. And dangerous. But his car was just outside with two of his men. He decided to be polite. He deftly maneuvered around the tiny table and sat down." It should be sliver and not silver. Reading from the context, Tubertini seems to be a composed, elegant aristocrat who is into perfection and fancy things. The phrase " Tubertini scornfully surveyed the tiny silver of a restaurant" practically means that Tubertini was gazing at the wooden sliver normally found covering the floor or decorating the wall or the roof of a restaurant. This implies that the restaurant they were in, was a shoddy restaurant to Tubertini's standard. ------ I’m game. (?) This is a famous expression you can find in Hollywood movies or breaking news. The phrase means "I'm in". To a broader sense, it's usually a response said to answer a challenge. For e.g: A: They said that you won't be running for the presidency. (A negative statement to challenge the interviewee) B: I'm game to run for the office (B will compete with other presidential candidates for a seat on the president desk)
1. The car was minus air, power anything and signal lights. It was a 1974 LTD. -> no air-conditioning? 2. You got real winner yourself. -> Yours is impressive too. 3. Nice tan too. -> tan = suntan 4. Gotta look the par -> look the "part" = dress/style oneself to look suitable for the situation 5. Show him some skin, snort some candy, he’ll talk. -> take off some clothes, flirt with him and he will tell you what you want to know 6.They shook hands politely, while Tubertini scornfully surveyed the tiny silver of a restaurant.(silver? and why say "a restaurant" instead of "the restaurant") -> probably silver plates/dishes; no "the" because it's not one particular restaurant, Tubertini is probably a stalker trying to look nonchalant 7. --- what’re you drinking? ----gin and tonic, twist of lime (what is "twist of lime") -> a little bit of lime-juice on top of the drink 8. ----There's this great cookout there at the Palms beginning at six.The best seafood on the island. Good music. Rum punch. The works. No dress code. ------ I’m game. (?) -> I'm in, (in this context, I'm gonna go and have some fun at this place at the Palms) 9. She carefully pulled the bags, just so.("just so" means what here,) -> need more context thanks in advance
3820