Richard-Business Eng
Professional Teacher
more vs best A friend asked me a question. Here is the question: "It seems that Alice never wants to do anything except drawing pictures. That's what she likes to do -----. A :most B:best" I believe the correct answer is "A: most", but I could not explain why I chose "most", rather than "best". Now, I am a native English speaker, and I know well over a hundred English words:) ... but I can't explain why "most" is the correct answer... Can you?
23
0
Richard, My first impression was that when used with the verb TO LIKE, the adverbs “most” and “best” are synonyms. I received confirmation of this when I checked the definitions in the Oxford English Dictionary and in the Webster Unabridged. Most…..in the greatest degree Best……in the best way; to the most eminent degree, the highest degree Compare the patterns much…. more…..most and well….better…… best I like it very much. ….to a great degree; greatly I like it very well. …..to a high degree (with verbs of pleasing – to like, to love, etc) I like it more than I like that. …..to a greater or higher degree, I like it better than I like that. ….to a higher degree, in a more excellent way I like it most of all. I like it best of all. You can see that in each case the meanings are similar.
"It seems that Alice never wants to do anything except drawing pictures. That's what she likes to do -----. A :most B:best" Whoever set this questions was naive, too. It has a howling error. "It seems that Alice never wants to do anything except DRAW pictures." The correct phrase for favorite stuff is "like best". There is a phrase "like the most". I like her a lot. I like her more. I like her the most. I like painting. I like sketching better. I like sketching best. There's a subtle difference between comparisons. The question itself was pretty naive in the first place.
The correct answer is "most". Americans almost universally say "best", which is incorrect. The reason? Please consider the sentence "She likes to do A more than B". This is a lovely and correct English sentence, but you would never dream of using "better" in this sentence, would you? That's because what is clearly needed here is a simple comparative. The sentence in question, however, "That's what she likes to do (the) most", requires the superlative of "more", hence the only correct answer is "most".
At first,let's find the difference between them through these : 1,to do best=>"best"(adverb) is the superlative form of the adverb "well"-it means "in the best manner or to the greatest degree" for doing one business in many things else. 2,to do most=>"most"(adverb) means "in the highest degree" -it relates frequency for doing something. From these points and the context of this case,the right answer is "most"
As far as I have seen both are used interchangeably. If you google the phrase "what she likes to do best" you will get almost ten times as many results compared to "what she likes to do most".
Richard-Business Eng