xiaokaoy
Does the comma make a difference? "She misses her uncle, killed in the war." If the comma is deleted, will the sentence have a different meaning? I guess that "She misses her uncle, killed in the war." equals "She misses her uncle, who was killed in the war." while "She misses her uncle killed in the war." equals "She misses her uncle who was killed in the war." In other words, the comma implies that she has only one uncle. However, omitting the comma implies that she has more than one uncle and that one of them was killed in the war. Do you think so?
26 de feb de 2012 16:31
4
0
Yes, the comma makes a difference! Sometimes it makes a huge difference. "What's for dinner Mom?" or "What's for dinner, Mom?" The latter implies we are going to eat Mom. "What's that in the road ahead?" or "What's that in the road, a head?" The latter implies somebody's head is in the road. There are rules about using the comma which you can do an Internet search, you don't need me for that. In general I would say that the Europeans are more precise in their use of the comma whereas here in the USA nobody reads or writes anymore so nobody cares about the comma.
26 de Febrero de 2012
The comma here is absolutely necessary. Revise qualifying clauses giving extra information!
27 de Febrero de 2012
Honesty hurts sometimes. The initial sentence just don't make no sense in itself. Ambiguous. And regarding how many uncles she really has, I say that's really no more than just your own assumptions. It's like staring at the spinning barrel at the barber salon's door. You're convinced it's clockwise (going up) but if you take it otherwise, you're just the same convinced.
26 de Febrero de 2012
Yes,you're right.
26 de Febrero de 2012
xiaokaoy