_Adnan_
Difference between hurt and upset What's the difference between hurt and upset in this phrase? "causing someone to feel hurt, angry, or upset"
4
0
If someone lies to me about something important, I would feel hurt. I might or might not be upset. "She was hurt when her cousin refused to come to her wedding." If I have a flat tire on the way to an appointment, I would be upset. I would not feel hurt unless someone I knew deliberately put a hole in the tire. "He was upset when the package did not arrive on time, delaying his plans." Of course, I can feel hurt, angry and upset at the same time.
Hurt means to hurt someone's feelings. You said yellow wasn't my color. It didn't suit my complexion. It hurt my feelings. You said yellow wasn't my color. It made me look ugly. I got upset. You not only hurt my feelings. You insulted me as well.
I would say that 'hurt' means offended and taken something personally, whereas upset is being more physically sad and distressed.
_Adnan_
English, Punjabi