Ruby
"There is much that can be done about the accident_____from the carelessness". A.arising B.arisen A quetion from my test,i don't know why the correct answer is not B but A?
4
0
The whole sentence is wrong! There is much that can be done about accidents arising from carelessness. Thumbs down to whoever set the test.
Thee is much that can be done about the accident WHICH AROSE from carelessness. That is how you would say, "we can do things about the accident - the accident that would not have happened if it wee not for carelessness." If I understand you, this is how I would further change it for clarity: (The accident only happened because of carelessness. We must learn from this; we have the opportunity to change thing so that this may not happen again.
"There is much that can be done about the accident_____from the carelessness". A.arising B.arisen A. Arising is in the CONTINUOUS tense.....accidents that are always happening that are due to carelessness. Example: Accidents arising from carelessness can be reduced. B. Arisen is in the PAST PARTICIPLE tense, so it needs to be preceded by "has" or "have". Example: The accident has arisen as the result of carelessness. Also - I don't think that the word "the" should have been in the original test question. I hope this helped - Dave
A is the right answer. The main clause is in the present, as is A. Think about the other answer, B. If I say that much can be done (now and in the future) about accidents ARISEN from (the) carelessness, I imply that I can go back in time and change what has happened before.
Ruby
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese