Ronnie
Never would have (contrary to fact in the past ) 1.Without your help, I never would have won the game. (In fact, I won the game.) 2. I'm so surprised! I never would have thought he would do that. (In fact, I never thought he would do that.) How come the same usage has totally different meaning (first one is contrary to fact in the past while the other is not )?
10
0
Hello Ronnie, You are mistaken. Both sentences express an idea contrary to the stated fact. 1) Without your help, I never would have won the game. = If you had not helped me, I would never have won the game. But you did help me, so I won the game. 2) I'm so surprised! I never would have thought he would do that. = If I hadn't found out about it, I never would have thought that he would do that. But you did find out that he did it, so you DID THINK that he would do that . You are suprised that he would.
"Would have," which is often used in the third conditional form, refers to a hypothetical / theoretical situation. It doesn't matter if it is positive or negative. In the first example, the writer is imagining what "would have" happened if his friend had not helped him. In the second example, he is imagining his own reaction to something before it actually happened, compared to what actually did happen.
1.Without your help, I never would have won the game. (In fact, I won the game.) 2. I'm so surprised! I never would have thought he would do that. (In fact, I DIDN'T THINK THAT) You are confusing the verbs here!!!!
Ronnie
Chinese (Taiwanese), English