berthely
how to use this phrase: What is that? Sometimes I hear people say WIT as a question when don't understand what the partner is saying, my question is if this is an unformal way to ask {Can you repeat that?} because sometimes I don't understand what somebody is telling me at the phone and I am not sure is WIT phrase would be the correct way to ask to the person to repeat the sentence. Thanks in advance.
You can also say: Excuse me, what was that? OR Can you repeat that please?
It is more appropriate when you do not know the words they are using than if you just want them to repeat it because you did not catch what they said. For example, the following exchange makes sense: Me: I like to crochet. You: Crochet? What is that? This example is wrong: Me: My phone number is 555 222 4444. You: You spoke too fast. What is that? Here is how that would be fixed: Me: My phone number is 555 222 4444. You: You spoke too fast. Can you repeat that? Hope that helps.
Say it again.