Elina
:OHave Been + ing form :O :O :O Hi,this tense really make me confused I don't know when and where it is used?and which is worse is that I don't know how it means? Is there any body help me? :O Thanks a lot in advance :))
It's called the Present Perfect Continuous tense Wow!! It means that the action has been happening recently. e.g. I have been swimming this morning. Elina has been writing a letter to her mum. So it's a 'recently happened' tense. Have you been learning English today?
This tense implies that you started doing something habitually some time ago and are still doing it habitually or regularly. It specifies how you fill your time lately: "I've been reading a lot" means that lately I pass a lot of time reading. "I've been reading your entries" means that I started reading your posts and follow them regularly. In other words, in both examples, it talks about an action that started in the past and has become habitual. It also has a short-term interpretation, used to explain the obvious signs of an activity. If your your friend staggering down the street, you can say "I see you've been drinking" or to a child with red eyes "Have you been crying?"
"Have been +ing" is called present perfect continuous. It is used to talk about situations, events or activities that have started in the past and have been in progress for a period until now. The situations, events or activities may or may not be finished. Present perfect continuous is also used to express repetition. Examples: "It has been raining heavily all night." "I have been studying English for twenty year now." "She has been watching a lot of television lately." "I have been trying to call her several times today."
Present Perfect Continuous: - How long has it been raining? It has been raining for two hours. = It began raining 2 hours ago and it is still raining. How long have you been learning English? I've been learning English since 2005. = I started learning English in 2005 and I'm still learning English. (We use it in this way with how long, for... and since... The activity is still happening or has just stopped) - Actions repeated over a period of time: He is a very good football player. He has been playing football since he was eight.
Thank you very much dzeri! :)