Gemma Gem
Relative pronouns I wonder if someone could help on a question about relative pronouns which I find quite difficult. In the following sentence; ‘Here is the coat, which you must always keep clean’ I translated it as follows; Hier ist der Mantel, DEN Sie immer sauber halten müssen. However, I understand this to be incorrect, DEN should be DER; Hier ist der Mantel, DER Sie immer sauber halten müssen. I am obviously incorrectly identifying the subject/object of the sentence but I’m not sure where I’m going wrong! I have learned that the ‘subject’ of the sentence is the ‘do-er’ of the action, and the ‘object’ of the sentence is the ‘receiver’ of the action of the verb, or the ‘victim’ of the verb. So therefore, using this as a guide, I would say that the coat is the object here, as it is the receiver of the action of the verb ‘to clean’; OBJECT SUBJECT VERB ‘the coat you must always keep clean’ I’m obviously getting something wrong in my analysis here and hope someone can hopefully explain it to me? Thanks very much OBJECT = the coat SUBJECT = you VERB = (keep clean)
Yes, the coat is the object. That is right. And the object relative pronoun is DEN. DER is the subject relative pronoun. So why are you having trouble?
You did absolutely right!. And you identified everything right! See it as two sentences. Hier ist der Mantel (Mantel= subj) Sie(subj) müssen ihn (den Mantel, Obj) immer sauberhalten. -> Das ist der Mantel, den Sie immer sauberhalten müssen! Everything is fine, don't confuse yourself! :)