ufeng
which one should i say? when i want to say "继续“,i'm confused by go on,carry on,keep going,continue.what situation should i say which one of thoes word above mentioned?
All those expressions contain the meaning of 继续 and are more or less interchangeable.
I agree with Randy, these are all fairly interchangeable and you could use them more or less in any situation. Any difference is very subtle and I will try to explain the difference. Please remember, I am not talking about the technical definitions. I am describing how I would use them in a regular conversation. Go on - for me, this is probably the most informal and would be used in friendly conversations in the U.S. It would be used when you are genuinely interested in what they are saying and want them to '继续'. Carry on - I believe this is similar to 'Go on' except it is used almost exclusively by people from the U.K. U.S. people know this phrase and would understand it completely but it is almost never used in the U.S. I will assume that 'Go on' is considered a U.S. phrase and is generally not used in the U.K. but I will let a U.K. native correct me if I am wrong. Keep going - to me, this implies encouragement as if you are trying to get something out of someone. For example, if you were a professor and a student was trying to describe a difficult problem but kept pausing, you might say 'keep going'. Or, if a child was trying to explain why the lamp was broken after they were playing in the family room, a parent might say 'keep going' when the child kept trying to think of more excuses. Continue - this has a more formal tone and is usually used when there is an interruption in a professional conversation. For example, if you were conducting a job interview and the phone rang, the person giving the interview might talk on the phone for a brief moment, then hang up the phone and say to you 'continue'. Since it sounds a bit abrupt, most people would say 'please continue' to sound more polite.
anytime and and case?
they're all the same.