CESTMOI
Should I learn English grammar? I have no idea about English grammar any more... I've learned some things when I was 13, 14. That is then 34 years ago. If I write or speak English, I do not think about it. I have done a lot with English. First at the age we are starting to read, we automatically learn English from watching TV. The sound is in English, the subtitles are in Dutch. Then we had languages in high school. Later in the university, most books we had to study about information science were in English. In my career, articles about new software development tools, are also in English. Etcetera, etcetera. So, I cannot explain why I write or say a sentence like I do, any more than well .. may-be my mother tongue more or less. Should I nevertheless study grammar rules to improve myself? Or should I just rely on my 'subconscious grammar'.
It depends how you want to use the English language. If you want to speak it, write it, read it and your comprehension and expression is good enough then I wouldn't worry about it. If your intention is to teach others then without question you need to be able to explain why something is one way or the other. If my teacher couldn't answer a grammar question I would sack her immediately.
Well, actually many good English speakers (native speakers) are in the same predicament. We learn the grammar in school, then forget it. We only continue to get it right thanks to habit and good exposure. :) I myself had to re-learn the rules to teach English. Here's what I think: if you are interested in the mechanics of English at your level, then go about it in a reverse-engineering fashion. Look at what you know is right (from experience) and then think, "OK, so why is it so? Why does that make sense, but if I change it in a certain way it sounds unnatural or wrong? What's going on in the back of my head (and in the backs of other people's heads) anyway?" It's kinda fun. :)
I'm afraid it's going to be just boring to start learning all afresh. But still you may need to brush up your English. And me too.
In your situation, I believe that the study of syntax is more beneficial than the study of grammar. Syntax requires a good deal of logic and will help you construct better sentences.
It is entirely up to you. If you want to learn grammar online, the following links might help you : www.learnenglish.de/grammarpage.htm www.nonstopenglish.com/ www.english-at-home.com/ http://www.arts.uottawa.ca/writcent/hypergrammar/