NYC_Homegrown
How do you say this Bruce Lee quote in Chinese? What is the traditional Chinese translation of this Bruce Lee quote? "The stiffest tree is most easily cracked, while the bamboo or willow survives by bending with the wind." It is a quote I'd like to get as a tattoo in traditional Chinese, but I need help with this complicated translation. I'd like it to be accurate to the meaning, with no ambiguities. Any help is definitely appreciated :)
Hello,Bruce Lee's a legend,I'll give you two translation below: 1.In modern Chinese with simplified Characters:最硬的树最易折,然而竹子和柳树却可以在风中弯曲而生存。 2.In traditional Chinese:堅木必折,柔柳易生。 I recommend you the second one,it's much more poetic and it was written in traditional Character as Bruce Lee used and it's not so long for a tatoo.
"Bend and be straight; Empty and be full; Wear out and be new; Have little and gain; Have much and be confused. (Tao Te Ching, XXII) A man is born gentle and weak. At his death he is hard and stiff. Green plants are tender and filled with sap. At their death they are withered and dry. Therefore the stiff and unbending is the disciple of death. The gentle and yielding is the disciple of life. Thus an army without flexibility never wins a battle. A tree that is unbending is easily broken. The hard and strong will fall. The soft and weak will overcome.(Tao Te Ching, LXXVI) Trees that don't bend with the wind won't last the storm. (Old Chinese proverb)" --http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/archive/index.php?t-10036.html
我懷疑李小龍曾說過與該句英文相對等的中文 不論是引述 老子的道德經 或是 莊子的外篇山木 都是演繹後的結果 以上英文 歸納主旨後僅四個字 "柔能克剛" 柔能克剛: 柔弱能克服剛強。 三國演義˙第六十回:「某素知劉備寬以待人,柔能克剛,英雄莫敵。」 亦作「柔能制剛」。 你該不會想要在身上刺上一長串的中文吧?
直接翻译:要知道,笔直的树是最易崩裂的,而竹子或柳树却能经得起风的肆虐。 在中文里有个词可以形容——过刚易折。 所谓“至刚易折,上善若水”。是中国老子的思想内容“上善若水,水善利万物而不争。”