What is the difference between "maybe" and "perhaps"?
They are interchangeable. I see as 'maybe' as more informal and thrown into everyday conversations. 'Perhaps' seems to be used in a more formal sense, like in academic papers, as a substitute that sounds smarter and more intelligent than resorting to the usage of 'maybe.'
They essentially mean the same thing. Perhaps is just a touch more formal, but it is very subtle. I often substitute "perhaps" for "maybe" when I say it too much in a sentence or the other way around.
You can use them interchangeably. The only difference is that "perhaps" is used more often in England and it is also considered a little bit more formal than “maybe”. Don't worry too much about it though because they can be used in any situation interchangeably. Just like city Vs town, you can use city more freely than town. A town is a less important smaller city.
You can definitely answer perhaps to that though. Do aliens exist? Perhaps!
-- Do aliens exist? -- Maybe. (I never heard people saying "perhaps" here.)