Liza
Does it sound ok in English? A few kids were kidnapped yesterday.What I'm intersted in here is whether the verb to kidnap can colocate with the noun kid? Or a native speaker would consider such a colocation stylistically incorrect?
Actually, it's fine to me. Kids is a very, very common word for children, even if it may also technically mean young goats. It is a little strange to casually say that a few kids were kidnapped, but I don't think that make it bad English per se.
Thanks to all!))
Not really. "A few kids" is fairly colloquial, but you're reporting an abduction. You'd use "several children". The repetition (kids - kidnapped) sounds a bit sing-song or jokey. We really try to avoid repetition in English. So to answer your question, no they don't collocate.
Ничего себе)))никогда бы не подумала,что kids переведут как baby goats!))) Какой полезный сайт,можно узнать много чего интересного от носителей языка!!! This information turned out to be useful for me too!Thank you,the teachers))))
It's ok if you are referring to baby goats:)) Usually a number would be mentioned and the word children would be used: Example: Three children were kidnapped yesterday.