Amy
indicate & suggest There's a definition of 'indicate' in Collins Advanced Learner's Dictionary as the following.: If you indicate an opinion, an intention, or a fact, you mention it in an indirect way. 1.Mr Rivers has indicated that he may resign. 2.U.S. authorities have not yet indicated their monetary policy plans. Then, does 'indicated' in the sentences is identical as 'suggested'?
Ahnyeong Amy :) Indicate and suggest are not used in the same way. I suggest we leave. (I have said we should leave, but no-one else has agreed yet) I indicated I was leaving. (I let everyone know I was leaving, I don't need agreement) The difference is that suggestions, may or may not be acted on. A suggestion is an idea put forward by someone, that needs to be agreed to by the group. Think about the suggestion box at some companies. It's for ideas that the company could implement, but do not have to. Indicated does not have to be verbal, or written, but the message is still conveyed. At work, I may indicate my intention to resign by telling my manager. It's not official until I hand in a resignation letter with dates. There's the idea that the indicated action will be confirmed later on, but the decision is made already.
ok ,you are right ;)
Hmmm no - I still think "suggest" is far more indirect than "indicate".