nozturk
Can you use "tergiversation" and "equivocation" in the most widely used sentences?
I don't know about "tergiversation" but equivocation a logical fallacy where a word has more than one meaning, and the person takes advantage of that to make their argument. The most common sentence involving "equivocation" is where someone points out that the other person is using it in an argument. For example: Me: 1. I am a nobody 2. Nobody is perfect 3. Therefore I am perfect You: That's the fallacy of equivocation! You're taking advantage of the fact that "nobody" has two meanings. Does that make sense?
No :) If peachy hasn't heard of it and I haven't heard of it, it's not common.
I actually had to look up "tergiversation" to see if it really existed! ;) It has more to do with shifting and evading proper meanings and facts. "Equivocation" sounds academic, and Shakespeare used it a few times in his plays - so I really would not put this in daily speech. You've probably spotted the same root for "equal" in there, so that's your clue. In daily use, we'd use something like "double-speak" or "spin-doctoring".