lisa
Why is "Ich habe zugenommen" with haben and not sein? It is an obvious change of state and there is no direct object; should it then not be with Sein?
Sometimes there is no logic. All words with "-nehmen" need "haben". (aufnehmen, einnehmen, abnehmen, mitnehmen, vernehmen, benehmen, annehmen...) I always tell my students "there is never an "always" in the german grammar, just a "mostly" :)
Actually with this one you can use either SEIN or HABEN. "How is that possible," I hear you cry. Well, let me explain. A change of state = change from "not being something" to "being something." "Ich habe zugenommen" could be that kind of change, but looked at from another point of view it may not. After all, "putting on weight" may not necessarily imply that kind of change. So depending on the mood of the speaker at the time, you will hear one or the other.
There are only a few words in German that are used with "sein"... Like for example: gehen - ich bin gegangen laufen - ich bin gelaufen hüpfen - ich bin gehüpft fahren - ich bin gefahren fallen - ich bin gefallen To put it simply: Words that express a locomotion are formed with "sein". And "sein" itself: sein - ich bin gewesen "zunehmen" does not make you change any location although you might get bulkier... Your feet stay where they are. [Edit: Oh, I can edit again. I didn't know that. Read my first comment, pls, for further information.]