Michael
What does this mean? "Was haben Sie alles zu Hause in Ihrem Kleiderschrank?" In my german book (Deutsch, Na Klar! V.5), it asks what I have in my wardrobe and to list clothing items. The question I'm asking, however, is why do I need the word "alles" in that question? What does that translate to in English? Thanks!!
You can't translate it into english. At least, not in the same word order. It's like: (Tell me about) everything you have in your wardrobe. More ore less.. we always put "alles" if we want to know everything you did, eat,... Was hast du gestern alles gegessen? Was hast du gestern alles gemacht? Was hast du gestern Nacht eigentlich alles getrunken? So we want to know every detail. For example: Was hast du gestern gegessen? Nudeln. Was hast du gestern alles gegessen? Den Rest Nudeln, danach Pudding, später einen Apfel und drei Kekse. Abends noch 3 Scheiben Brot mit Käse und Chips. Verstehst du? :)
Michael, ithis is very simply like saying "what all" in English, as in "What all do you have in your wardrobe?" or "Was hast du alles gekauft?" What all did you buy?
What's in your wardrobe? What have you got in your wardrobe?