Amy
Do these mean essentially the same?( be seen to be~, see sb as~) When the word 'they' is ignored, does the following sentence essentially mean the same as "Women are sometimes seen to be less effective as managers." and sound natural? They sometimes see women are less effective as managers.I'm not asking structure of sentence, but essential meaning.
They sometimes see women TO BE less effective as managers. Now where exactly is the "they" ignored?
Thank you, Jocilyn. It helped me a lot. ^_^
I would write it as: "They sometimes see women as less effective managers." You could only write this sentence if you already knew who the subject was (who "they" are). Hope this helps!
The "see" part is not exactly the same. - In the first sentence 'seen' = 'considered'. - In the second it sounds like they actually see/observe that women are less effective. Also you should in that case add a "that" inbetween 'see' and 'women'. 'seen to be' = 'seen upon as' 2 examples: "Women are sometimes considered to be less effective (as) managers." "Women are sometimes seen upon as less effective managers." Hope it helps a bit! Christoffer^^