cozy
I don't see what he is trying to say. Can anyone tell? A couple, running off together. Then the guy says ; Don't make me sorry for him. If I'm sorry for him, I can't be sorry for us... ...and we'll both be sorry love was ever invented.
Clash By Night? ;) I'll fill in some blanks... "Don't make me sorry for him. (Because...) If I'm sorry for him, I (therefore) can't be sorry for us... and (as a result) we'll both be sorry love was ever invented." So the speaker can only give his sympathy to one side. If he sympathises with his rival, it's unfair to his relationship and only regret and guilt would result.
Hello, thank you for your comment. Well I agree that your saying "How people respond to love is reinvented by everyone in love."
These sound like song lyrics. Lyrics are a special genre in any language. Love is not "invented" as the song suggests. Love is an emotion. How people respond to love is reinvented by everyone in love. Those responses can get people into trouble based on culture and public opinion. Couples that see each other in defiance of mores and public opinion often have problems. I think he is willing to suffer sociatal consequence because love is a very powerful emotion. I personally hope he hasn't confused it with lust, an equally powerful emotion. Love means security and protection as well as physical and emotional lust. Co-dependence is also often confused with love but I personally hope he is simply and purely in love.