Brucy
Luff is marked by "the act of sailing a ship nearer the wind" 1.Luff is marked by "the act of sailing a ship nearer the wind" what does nearer the wind mean? 2.He caught the ball and flipped it back to me in one fluid motion what does " in one fluid motion" mean? 3..I feel like if I leave it at home, I go a bit crazy," said James Vohradsky, a 20-year-old student who queued for 17 hours with his sister. "I can't do my normal day without it." Can I use "live" to replace "do" in "I can't do my normal day without it." if not, what is the difference?
1) Luffing is really hard to explain (at least for me). It's very specific sailing terminology and not really a common word. It's basically when you put the sail far enough in the direction that the wind is coming from that the sail begins to flap. "luffing" is the flapping of the sail. 2) "In one fluid motion" here means something like "gracefully." He caught the ball and flipped it back without any pause or hesitation - very quickly. 3) I think you could replace "do" with "live" in this case. It's a very colloquial way of speaking, but the effect would be the same.