Ted
In this sentence, why use 'future continuous tense' but not 'simple future tense'? The sentence is: I am appalled at the substandard quality of this product, and will be returning it to you. Could I just say '...will return it to you' ?
We use the simple future in very specific circumstances: 1) to express a spontaneous action "I will get answer the door." "He will pay for dinner." 2) to predict something "The Giants will win tomorrows game." "I will marry that girl someday." 3) With the verb "to be" to give information about the future. "I will be very hungry at six o'clock." "Your mother will not like your new girlfriend." 4) A scheduled event "the show will start at 8:00AM" "My sister will graduate on the 14th." We use the future continuous to express future plans or events. "I will be returning this package. (the fact that it is in the future is implied by the tense you used). "My plane will be arriving at 6:00pm." Notice that the second example can also be used in the simple future because it can also be considered a scheduled action.
Yes.
Yes, you could. Both sentences are correct, but for some reason sounds more natural to say "I will be returning it to you."