hana
What does "I chewed my nails" mean? I came across this phrase while reading the following part of an article about house interior. What did he mean? ****************** You have less than a year to decorate an 18,000-square-foot Tuscan-style villa. Please add a screening room, a screening room lounge and, while you’re at it, a billiards room. Nervous? “I chewed my nails,” admits Mark Boone, the Los Angeles–based interior designer who recently completed such a mission. ****************** Additionally, I couldn't understand "while you’re at it" neither. What does it mean? Thanks in advance!
Chewing or biting your nails is a nervous disorder. People sometimes do unhealthy repetitive behavior when they can't control their urges and are worried. The term 'nail-biter' is an English word which has come to mean something that causes tension or anxiety. "while you are at it" means "while you are doing it"
He chewed on his fingernails... signifying nervousness and stress, as well as being a bad habit. The designer means to say he was very very nervous. "While you're at it" - "it" refers to the work you are doing. This phrase is used when adding an extra task to someone's workload.