Shikibara
is this the right Kanji? so I am trying to identify the Kanji to use for my online (soon to be legal, hopefully) name, Rykuu ( りく). from what I have read it can either mean "dirt or shore" or it can mean "agony of separation", the later fitting close to the characters personality so that is the one I am choosing. I use jisho.org for my word translations and it says the Kanji is 離苦 would that be correct? I would like to get a human confirmation on this one. Thanks, Rykuu
3
0
I know I'm not Japanese, but seeing as 離 (in the case of 離れる) means "to be separated" or "to leave" and as 苦 (in the case of 苦痛) means agony, I'd have to say you have the right combination. However, using goo's dictionary, I got the definition 「心身の苦しみを離れること」which means "to separate (oneself) from mental and physical suffering." Basically, it's a word used mostly in Buddhist contexts. This might not be exactly what you were looking for. The English definition you provided led me to believe it meant something along the lines of "agony caused by being separated from something/someone", so I assume the same could have possibly happened to you.
Actually, you are free to use any combination of り and く that you like. There are probably hundreds of them. There are special sites dedicated to giving Japaneses names to English names. Google one of them.
Shikibara
Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, Japanese, Korean, Latin, Spanish
Chinese (Mandarin), Japanese, Korean, Latin