junjie
Translation exercise. Part 2 What do the following sentence mean? 1) 别没大没小的。 2)称来称去。 3)合适的时机而已。 (I don't understand the sentence structure with 而(X) ex. 而已) Can someone explain clearly with examples.) 3a) 仅此而已? b) 只是喝酒而已。 What does that mean? Again the 而已 appears??? 4) 更是少之又少? 5)I will take you to the top of the stairs or we can meet halfway. 怎么说? 6)
3
0
1)別沒大沒小的 = Don't Contradict your parents. (or other elders) ex. Don't contradict me like that, you little bastard! 別沒大沒小的, 你這小雜種! 2)稱來稱去 It should depends on the context, well it always be used when you are buying something which is sold by weight, for example, fruit or vegetable, and the price is very expensive, so before you take it to check out, you weight it again and again, wondering if it is too heavy to pay... ex. the dealer: stop weighing it ! buy it or leave it! 商家:別稱來稱去的,要買不買隨便你! 3)合適的時機而已 = Just at the right time. (just=而已) 3a)僅此而已 =That's all 4)更是少之又少 "更是" emphasize "少之又少" "少之又少" emphasize " 少" ex. 會漢語的人已經很少了, 會廣東話的人更是少之又少. There is few ppl who can speak Mandarin, however, there is fewer ppl who can speak Contonese. 5)我可以直接帶你去樓頂,或著在路途中相見。
1) 别没大没小的。To act one's age. Don't act like a child. To avoid showing no respect to elders. 2)称来称去。To weigh something again and again. 3)合适的时机而已。 (I don't understand the sentence structure with 而(X) ex. 而已) Can someone explain clearly with examples.) just at the right time. 而已 = just, only, merely, nothing more. 我只是说说而已。I was just saying. (Don't take it seriously) 3a) 仅此而已?That's all. Nothing more. b) 只是喝酒而已。 What does that mean? Again the 而已 appears??? (We are) just drinking. (That's all, won't do anything more.) 4) 更是少之又少?“”少之又少”, to emphasize "few", "little". 5)I will take you to the top of the stairs or we can meet halfway. 怎么说? 我将带你到梯顶,或者我们在中途会合。
The first question means to act your age ,for example :  Mr. Brown was playing tag with the children at the party. Then Mrs. Brown said, "Henry, act your age," and he stopped. This sentence is translated in chinese is :布朗先生在聚会上和孩子们玩捉迷藏,只听布朗太太说:“亨利,别没大没小的。”于是布朗先生不再玩了
junjie
Chinese (Mandarin)