Amy
Can I interchange 'by isolating' with 'by separating' in this sentence? If so, which difference appears? Our anxieties can be controlled by isolating thoughts, feelings and memories.
3
0
Yea, ofcourse you can also use "separating" here. i have one more example - One of the major tricks in learning to deal with stressful situations is to learn to separate thoughts, feelings and emotions.
Thank you so much for clear explanation, Jessica. :D
separating would be better but I think isolating is OK. separate means to move away from each other. isolate means to move away from each other but also means it would be all alone. So I can separate the fruits and vegetables, they are not near each other but if I isolate the fruit from the vegetables, the fruit is all alone - like in a quarantine, whereas in the first example the fruits could be near bread and pudding and other stuff, in the second example, the fruit would be away from everything - not just the vegetables.
Amy