JacobPoulsen
scaffolding language I would like to ask other professional teachers here on Italki that has knowledge about scaffolding language, what do you think of this approach? I can actually see the benefits of this method, also how it is used here on Italki with both beginners and advanced learners. Normally it applies to grammar and is very similar to I+1 but I+1 "Steven Kraschen" is about learning in general. So what is your view?
Hi Jacob, I think that this is a good method because teachers modify their language to match the language level of their students. All students (including adults) learn better when the teacher 'scaffolds' or adjusts his/her instruction to the level of the student. I believe that effective communication occurs when a teacher speaks in language a student can understand yet still challenges learning. My goal is always to speak slightly above the student's level so he/she can learn and grow.